What do you do when your child is sick?
You bring them to see a health care provider…
But did you know that it is just as important to bring your child to see a health care provider when they are healthy?
Preventative health care focuses on teaching us how to take care of ourselves so we can avoid diseases and other health problems.
EPSDT is the Early, Periodic, Screening and Diagnostic Treatment Program, more generally known as the Well Child Program.
The Well Child Program helps children in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta grow up into healthy adults. Well Child services are offered to all children ages 0-20. Community Health Practitioners from villages around the Delta are trained to provide these preventative health services. We are committed to increasing the number of CHPs trained in Well Child exams and further serving the children of the YK Delta.
The Well Child Exam
The Well Child visit begins with a complete examination.This exam includes:
- Growth and developmental screening
- Vision and hearing screening
- Dental screening
- Immunizations (if needed)
- Head-to-toe physical exam
- Hemoglobin and blood glucose
- Health education: a chance to talk to the health care provider about normal health, safety, and what changes to expect as the child grows.
If the examination shows that the child needs further follow-up or treatment, a referral will be generated and assistance to make the appointment will be provided. Examples of referrals include:
- Medical specialists such as pediatricians and family practice physicians
- Dental exams and treatment
- Optometry services (eye examinations)
- Audiology services (hearing tests)
- Nutrition counseling
- Behavioral Health counseling
- Tobacco Cessation
The Well Child Program will coordinate all travel and lodging and these expenses will be paid if the child is currently enrolled in Medicaid or Denali KidCare.
Let’s work together to make a brighter and healthier future for our children!