- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4-6 ounce cuts of moose
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen or fresh chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup broth or stock or water
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high.
- Sprinkle moose with ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add moose to the skillet. Cook until well-browned on each side.
- Remove moose from skillet and set aside.
- Add peas and carrots and onion to the skillet.
- Cook vegetables, stirring often, until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add flour to vegetables in the skillet.
- Cook, stirring often, for 30 seconds.
- Add broth/stock/water to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return moose to skillet, nestling meat in the liquid.
- Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt.
- Cover and cook until sauce is slightly thickened and meat is warmed through.
- Canola oil is one of the healthier oil choices, but other oils/fats may be substituted.
- It is healthier to reduce salt intake. If you are using broth or stock, use an unsalted type if possible.