The flu season has started early this year. The hospital is experiencing a significant rise in the number of influenza A cases.
YKHC urges all residents ages 6 months or older to receive their 2023/2024 flu shot. This annual vaccination can help protect you from the most serious effects of the flu and reduce the likelihood you will spread the disease to others in our community.
In Bethel, YKHC offers several convenient ways for you and your family to receive flu shots.
- Visit the walk-in flu shot clinic at the Gathering Place inside the hospital, 1‑5 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays. No appointment required.
- Schedule a time to receive your flu shot by calling 907-543-6442
- Plan to attend the drive-through clinic, scheduled for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, October 7, in the CHSB parking lot.
In villages, please contact your local clinic to make a flu shot appointment for you and your family.
With the start of the fall season, YKHC is also seeing an increase in new cases of COVID.Co-infections of influenza and COVID-19 can lead to severe outcomes.If you have a positive COVID-19 test, call 907-543-6949 or your local clinic for more information. There are highly effective COVID-19 treatments that can be administered within 5 days of symptom onset.
At-home COVID tests can be picked up at security desks at the hospital. In villages, schedule a test at your local clinic. Starting October 2, you can also order four free at-home COVID-19 tests at www.covid.gov/tests.
In addition to vaccination, here are other simple steps you can take to help prevent the spread of flu, COVID and other respiratory illnesses.
- If you have flu-like symptoms like a cough, runny nose, or fevers, please stay home.
- Avoid close contact with infants, elders, and high-risk individuals. If you cannot avoid contact, wear a mask.
- Wash your hands frequently with warm soapy water.
We are here to support your health and well-being. Please schedule your flu shot and take precautions to protect yourself and our community from respiratory diseases this winter.