Here are some things that homes without running water can do using household bleach.
Using bleach to disinfect surfaces
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from bleach.
- Mix 4 teaspoons liquid bleach with 1 quart of water to make a strong cleaning solution (500-800 ppm).
- First, clean soiled surfaces to remove dirt and grime.
- Next, wipe the bleach solution on “high touch” hard surfaces daily like door knobs, light fixtures, tables, counters, toys, toilet handles, faucet handles, and sinks.
- Leave the surfaces wet for 10 minutes, enough time to kill the germs.
Using a handwashing basin
If you use a handwashing basin, make sure the water in the basin is changed regularly during the day.
Consider adding a small amount of bleach to basin water, so that germs don’t grow.
Add 1 teaspoon liquid bleach to a half gallon of water. This will create a mild bleach solution, slightly stronger than pool water.
Having two separate basins is best – one for soapy wash water and one for clean rinse water (with bleach).
For more information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/cleaning-disinfection.html