- ½ pound uncooked whole wheat pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, minced
- 12 oz meat of choice, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups broccoli, fresh or frozen, in bite-sized pieces
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper (to taste, optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- During last two minutes of cooking the pasta, add the chopped broccoli to the pasta pot.
- Drain, saving ¼ cup of the pasta water for later.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When oil begins to shimmer, add the garlic and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add meat to the skillet, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta, broccoli, and saved pasta water to the skillet with the meat.
- Stir to combine.
- Add Parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Whole wheat pasta is recommended. Other pasta will work in this recipe.
- Olive oil is one of the healthier oil choices, but other oils/fats may be substituted.
Adapted from – https://www.forkknifeswoon.com/whole-wheat-pasta-with-broccoli-and-chicken-sausage/
Recipe courtesy of Diabetes Prevention and Control