- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups vegetables, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheese (optional)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste, optional)
- In a large oven-proof nonstick skillet, cook ½ tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. (Vegetables should be tender.)
- While vegetables are cooking, whisk the eggs, ½ tablespoon olive oil and water for about 1 minute.
- Stir ½ cup of cheese and salt and pepper into the egg mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables, stirring gently.
- Cook over medium heat until eggs begin to set. (Eggs should be less liquid and not moving as easily.) Occasionally lift the edges of the frittata to allow uncooked mixture to go to the bottom.
- Top with remaining cheese and broil in the oven for 2 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown and eggs are set.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- Olive oil is one of the healthier oil choices, but other oils/fats may be substituted.
- Use the vegetables of your choice. Bell pepper and broccoli work well in this recipe.
- To reduce fat in this recipe, use 4 eggs plus 8 egg whites instead of 8 eggs.
- If cheese is used, low-fat cheese is healthier. However, any shredded cheese will work in this recipe.
This recipe is courtesy of YKHC Diabetes Prevention and Control. Adapted from – https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Cheesy-Vegetable-Frittata-1717778