- 2 pounds salmon fillet, cut into 6 pieces
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons fat free milk
- Salt & Pepper (to taste, optional)
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Coat salmon pieces in flour and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In a wide bowl, mix together rice, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper.
- Dip salmon in egg wash and then rice mixture. Press rice into salmon.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat and sear two pieces of salmon at a time, cooking equally on both sides until salmon is fully cooked. (Depending on the thickness of the salmon, this could be 2 minutes per side or 5 or more minutes per side.)
- Set cooked salmon aside on a plate and repeat earlier steps until all salmon is cooked.
- Whole wheat flour is recommended. Other types of flour will work in this recipe.
- Fat free milk is recommended. Milk that contains fat will work in this recipe.
- Wild rice is recommended. Other firm rice will work in this recipe.
- Olive oil is one of the healthier oil choices, but other oils/fats may be substituted.
- To make this recipe healthier, see if you can reduce the amount of oil used.
Recipe courtesy of YKHC Diabetes Prevention and Control
Adapted from – https://wholegrainscouncil.org/recipes/wild-rice-crusted-salmon